Thursday, June 30, 2011

How would the world be different if human beings were not inherently optimistic

When there is no optimism in us, we will be unhappy and limit our success.

Without optimism, we will be sad for our entire life. The definition of optimism is the tendency to expect the best and see the best in all things, thus, without optimism, we only will expect everything to be the worst, in the end, we will only be sad. This is a real life story that happens to me. Last term, after I took my IH exam, the first thing that came to my mind was not being happy that exam is over, but worried and sad about the results of my IH exam. Due to the lack of preparation before the test, there were some parts of my IH exam that I am not sure on how to answer. Thus, I was worried that I could not get a good result for the test. I was sad for nearly the entire day, thinking about the bad results that I may get. But in the end, I got back my results and I scored a higher score than I expected I will score. So, if I were like my friends and think that exam is already over, too much of worrying is useless now, I would actually live a better life and scored better for my science exam as I would spend less time thinking about IH exam paper and revise more on the science topics!

Without optimism, we will not be able to achieve high expectations. "Pessimists view success as a one-time event and in only one area. The pessimist narrows the success to just one event or time period and does not believe that it will become a larger part of their life. The biggest mistake they make perceives mistakes and losses as indicative of their overall ability. This means they see mistakes and failure as a regular part of themselves and expect more mistakes/losses in their lives." This quote, from Winning Edge Psychological Services, LCC, shows that people who are pessimistic tend to limit their success as they always expect for the worst.

Therefore, people without optimism would not be able to succeed in life as thinking about the bad side has already taken up everything of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment